Porcelain dental veneers are long-lasting, and can enjoy a life of up to twenty years with the proper care. To ensure your veneers maintain their beauty and function for as long as possible, it’s important to follow a few simple guidelines:
- Brush and floss your teeth at least twice per day.
- Visit your dentist twice a year for checkups and cleanings.
- Wear a protective mouth guard when playing contact sports.
- Refrain from chewing on hard items like pens, fingernails, or ice.
- Never use your teeth as a tool to open packaging or hold objects such as hairpins.
- Wear a night guard if you are prone to teeth grinding.
Even with diligent care, porcelain veneers will need to be replaced or repaired at some time, either from damage or years of wear. Cracked or slightly damaged veneers can be repaired with a special bonding material that is applied directly to the veneer. In most cases, your dentist should be able to repair one or two veneers rather than the entire set.
In the case of gum disease that has caused the gums to pull away from the veneer, your veneer would be removed and repositioned to close the gap at the gum line. If you suffer from more extensive gum disease, multiple veneers may need removal.
The procedure for replacing a set of porcelain veneers is essentially the same as the process of placing the original veneers. The original veneers are removed, your teeth are thoroughly cleaned and prepared, a mold will be taken of your teeth, and the new veneer will be crafted and put into place.
Schedule a consultation with Central Falls cosmetic dentist Dr. Frias to check the health of your dental veneers and recommend treatment based on their condition.
Dental Porcelain Veneers Central Falls, RI